Getting Started with Applications
In this section, you’ll find important information that will help you perform the basic operations you’ll need to do with applications, such as:
1. Starting New Applications
2. Merging Applications with an Existing Application
3. Saving Applications
Starting New Applications
Starting new applications is easy. Once you start a new application, you can go on to merge an existing application into it, import a Word document to do the Text-to-software thing, or go on to use the tools on the Requirements Analysis tab to set up your application.
NOTE! You should know that your application is not saved until you save it manually, or until you upload it to a server.
TO START A NEW APPLICATION
Click the File menu, then one of the following:
• New Application—Starts a blank application.
• New Default Application—Starts an application with one default use case, four requirements, three input fields, one navigator Smart Part, one form, one activity, and two screens.
Loading an Application
You can load an application that you saved locally so that you can do more work on it.
TO LOAD AN APPLICATION
1. Click File, Load Application.
2. Navigate to the location of the application.
3. Click Open.
Saving an Application
As you’re working on your application, you might want to consider saving it from time to time. (Just a suggestion.)
Applications created with Text-to-Software have a .dat file extension.
TO SAVE AN APPLICATION
Do one of the following:
• Click File, Save Application.
• Click File, Save Application As. Navigate to where you want the application saved. Type a name for the application.
Naming an Application
The first thing you should do when you start a Text-to-software document is name your application.
When you give something a name using Text-to-software, you can then create things inside it. And because an application is the biggest container, everything you create will be inside the application.
To name your application, write, on the first line of your Word document, “A SageTea Application named [NAME].”, where [NAME] is the name for your application.
For example, to create an application named “Alpha”, write “A SageTea Application named Alpha.”
TO NAME AN APPLICATION
In your Word document, on the first line, write “A SageTea Application named [NAME].”, where [NAME] is the name for your application.
Renaming an Application
TO RENAME AN APPLICATION
1. Click File, Rename Application.
2. Type a new name in the Enter a new name box.
3. Click OK.
Uploading your Application
When you are ready for your application to be unleashed on the world, you can upload it to the server, where it will reside. Uploading an application means it goes live for your users to see and use it.
You can download the application and make edits to it at any time by following the Editing Applications procedure.
TO UPLOAD AN APPLICATION
1. Click the Connection tab.
2. Type the appropriate information in the following boxes in the Login Details section:
• SageTea Server Address
• SageTea Server Port
3. If you want to merge the application with one that’s already published, enable the Merge Uploads checkbox.
4. If you want to abort the upload if a version of the application already exists, enable the Abort on Version Change checkbox.
5. Click Connect.
6. Once you’re connected, click the Upload App button.
Previewing your Application
NOTE! You can only preview an application if you have uploaded it to the application server and are connected to the server.
For information on connecting to the server, see Connecting to Servers. For information on uploading your application, see Uploading Applications.
TO PREVIEW YOUR APPLICATION
Click Forward Engineering, Preview Application.
Merging an Application with Your Application
Being able to do this is one of the most useful functions for developing new applications fast. Doing a merge lets you reuse functionality that you’ve already created, saving you time and money and jump-starting new application development. All you have to do to reuse valuable workflows, work processes, and other key pieces of expert knowledge, is press a few keys.
When you merge an application, Text-to-Software imports the other application into the one you’re working on now. From there, you will have to delete the parts you don’t want and create transitions between screens to get the workflow you want.
NOTE! It’s a good idea to upload the application you’re working on before you do a merge, just in case you decide you want to revert to the previous version.
TO MERGE AN APPLICATION
1. Load the application you’re working on.
2. To save the application, click the File menu, then Save Application.
3. Click File, Merge Application.
4. Navigate to the application you want to merge.
5. Click Open.